Follow by Email

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Taking the Wizards Into Battle

Wizard Nikko
So, I went off and found these three girls, trained them to become wizards, and now they're battle-hardened warriors?

Well, that's not even close to the way things went down!

Training took an awful lot of effort. I'd never trained a wizard before. I'd never been the Teacher and Protector, so I had no idea what I was doing. Thankfully, the power of the magic, of the sparks buried deep within those girls, helped them to learn what they needed to learn.

But that was only the magic side of things. There was also the personal part that goes along with being a wizard. Being connected to the magic does something to you, it gives you more confidence, it bolsters your sense of purpose. But within every wizard still resides a person.

Thankfully, Balthazar, the Wizard of the Dead Magic, had used up so much of his magic killing off Burgess, Devon, and Arturo that I had plenty of time to train those three girls. They weren't quite to my liking when I sensed the Dead Magic's presence in the natural world, but we don't get to pick and choose when it's time for battle.

They were scared to death, and I was terrified that all three of them were going to get themselves killed. I suppose Jolie was probably the most well composed of the three, but that's a bit like saying a robin is a more battle-hardened warrior than a fruit fly.

I had to spend a lot of time splitting my attention between directing traffic among the girls and lobbing fireballs at the goblin army Balthazar had summoned. I'm not sure what he was up to, but he did not anticipate running into me, now the Teacher and Protector, along with three newly-trained wizards.

By the end of the battle, the girls managed to steel their nerve. Reece was back to spouting witty remarks. Jolie had figured out how to use gusts of wind to send Balthazar's minions reeling. And Summer had managed to carve up her fair share of goblins. Once they let the magic take over, once they gave themselves fully to its guidance, they didn't do too badly - for their first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment