Follow by Email

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Practice Makes Perfect

Wizard Reece
All this talk of gloom and doom by Balthazar makes me want to change the subject on this blog. So, instead, I would like to talk a little bit about the most fundamental part of being a wizard: Practice.

I'm sure you've all heard the expression, "Practice makes perfect." While I would be the first person normally to tell you I hate to practice anything (I get bored easily), when it comes to being a wizard, practice really does make perfect.

You see, every time we use our sparks - for anything - it makes it easier for us to tap into their power the next time. So every time Nikko makes us spend time training in the Arena, it helps our sparks grow, giving us access to even more powerful magic. It takes lots of time to grow a magical spark, and that's why we spend lots of time practicing. My sisters and I have even gotten to the point now where we can summon our weapons without concentrating much at all - all thanks to our practice. That frees us up to spend our focus and concentration on casting other more powerful spells. And in time, even many of those spells will be much easier to cast.

You see, our sparks don't last forever. We can't just keep casting spell after spell. Nikko likes to tell us they're like a glass of water. Every time we use them for something, the glass gets a little emptier. And to replenish them, we have to eat and rest. The more we practice, the more water our glass can hold. Of course, when we empty that fuller glass, it takes more time to fill it all the way up.

Of course, I'd rather have a half-full extra large glass of water than a completely full itty-bitty little glass of water, so I, for one, plan to keep practicing. Maybe someday, I'll have as powerful of a spark as Nikko.

Want to learn more about Reece? Read Rise of the Dead Magic, available now.

No comments:

Post a Comment