Follow by Email

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Teacher & Protector

Nikko
Being the Teacher and Protector of the Three Wizards provided some unique learning experiences for me. As I mentioned earlier, it was not something I felt all that prepared for. It comes with quite the burden, but it also comes with a few unique gifts.

Obviously, I've been sparked a lot longer than the Three Wizards, so it sort of goes without saying that I have more experience with magic than they do. That has made it relatively easy for me to help them to develop their sparks, and they've made quite a bit of progress in a short amount of time. Imagine, though, if I had been sparked at the same time as them or only a few years before them. That would have made "training" them quite an interesting experience.

I will say, though, that training them has not been without difficulties. Remember, when I was nothing but one of the Three Wizards myself, I was the youngest, and I was used to working, practicing, and fighting with male wizards. Working with teenage girls has been quite a shift from what I was used to. Heck, it had been decades since I even interacted with a female, and quite frankly, I can't remember the last time I had interacted with a teenage girl. So, all of that has been quite interesting for me - and it was quite the learning experience.

The other big learning experience was my newfound ability to sense the presence of the dead magic. As the Teacher and Protector, I now have the ability to feel when some powerful emanation of dead magic has been unleashed in the natural world. It's almost like having a dull pounding in my head, creating a magical sense (a seventh sense, if you will) that I can follow, which will lead me to the location of that emanation. I use that power to track down the Wizard of the Dead Magic so that we can stop whatever machinations he has contrived.

And that's really about all there is to it. Beyond the ability to sense the dead magic more powerfully, the role of Teacher and Protector is more about being the most well-trained of the wizards. If something were to happen to me in the immediate future, that role would pass to Summer because she would be the oldest surviving wizard. At that point, I think the role would be more symbolic than anything else, because I can't imagine either Jolie or Reece even calling her their Teacher and Protector. Oh, the drama that would unleash! I guess I better make sure nothing happens to me...

Want to learn more about Nikko or his ability to sense the dead magic? Then download Rise of the Dead Magic, Book 1 of the Three Wizards Chronicles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment